Deprecating portreserve

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Jul 1 05:09:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 06:34:35PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:27:47PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
>
> > Portreserve is also useful to reserve (not let the OS make use of)
> > ports that are needed by an embedded management controller that
> > intercepts delivery of packets to the port and delivers them to the
> > BMC (e.g. the PowerEdge 1955 BMC).  While we've done away with that
> > behavior in newer systems, such are still in production use.
>
> Is that port number exposed to the OS in any way?

Not that I can recall, which is why it was a horrible design.  IIRC it
was just the remote IPMI port, but there may have been a few others.

I misremembered [1] the system type, it was the PowerEdge 1855, not
the newer 1955.  So we did fix that particular bit of pain in newer
generations.  In that case, it was the IPMI port 623/tcp that was
snarfing packets.

[1] http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2005-November/023606.html

--
Matt Domsch