Calling autoconf in a spec.

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sun Jul 3 17:31:12 UTC 2011

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
> To add to that: I never recall a single instance where I couldn't fix any
> breakage in someone else's canned configure/makefile scripts without having
> to rerun autoconf and automake.

> If there was a problem in the configure script, rather than patching
> configure.ac or configure.in, I simply patched the configure script itself.

Yeah, and the question is why that's a good idea at all, let alone so
superior as to be policy.  To me it sounds exactly like arguing that you
should fix a code bug by patching the emitted assembler code, instead of
touching the C code.  Or fixing a grammar problem by patching bison's
output file instead of the input .y file.  It just seems uselessly stone
age.  And it certainly does not yield a patch that you are going to be
able to submit to upstream.

			regards, tom lane