Calling autoconf in a spec.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 3 22:41:40 UTC 2011

Kevin Kofler writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Ok, then when you patch configure.in, configure.ac, and/or Makefile.am, be
> > sure to also specify:
> >
> > BuildRequires: autoconf=[version]
> >
> > and
> >
> > BuildRequires: automake=[version]
> >
> > in order to have a reproducible build.
>
> Nonsense. Even many upstreams do that.

Can you translate that. It's nonsense because many upstreams do that?

>                                         (I know I don't. On the autocrap-
> using projects I inherited, I just run "autoreconf -i -f" with whatever
> version I have on my system and ignore all the warnings.)

Sure. You must be able to tell, at a glance, which version of autoconf and
automake were used by upstream, and what the impact will be as a result of
rebuilding with, most likely, Fedora's different version, even before
introducing any patches. I mean, after all, autoconf has such a perfect
record of 100% backwards compatibility, as far as I can remember.

Sounds like a plan to me.