Calling autoconf in a spec.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 4 02:13:25 UTC 2011

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Indeed. How dare do those upstreams publish files containing non-preferred
> form for modifications, in their tarballs?

The GPL doesn't ban shipping generated files as long as they're accompanied
by their source code. It does ban editing only the generated files without a
corresponding change to the source code and distributing the result, because
the source code no longer corresponds to the binaries you're distributing.

And in addition, I consider the concept of including generated files in
what's supposed to be a source tarball to be broken by design. A source
tarball is supposed to contain SOURCE code, not generated code. Anything
needing to be generated should be generated during the build process.

        Kevin Kofler