Calling autoconf in a spec.

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 03:17:58 UTC 2011

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> That sounds more like dogmatism than practical thinking.  It's common to
>> pre-generate some of the files in a distribution tarball, just so that
>> users aren't required to have specific tools in order to build the code
>> (unless they want to modify the input files for those tools, of course).
>> This is not more nor less than simplifying life for your users.

> Users shouldn't be building the code directly from the tarball, that's what
> packages are for, and there it's just a matter of adding a BuildRequires.

I grow weary of debating this with somebody who can't recognize that his
particular situation is not universal.  Many people build code for
themselves, for instance because their preferred platform isn't shipping
the particular version of a package they want (or not shipping it at
all).  Wise upstreams are not going to target their packages only at
well-versed distro packagers.

			regards, tom lane