Calling autoconf in a spec.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 4 06:39:55 UTC 2011

Tom Lane wrote:
> I grow weary of debating this with somebody who can't recognize that his
> particular situation is not universal.  Many people build code for
> themselves, for instance because their preferred platform isn't shipping
> the particular version of a package they want (or not shipping it at
> all).

Then they should build a package.

> Wise upstreams are not going to target their packages only at well-versed
> distro packagers.

Upstreams trying to make it easier to build their stuff directly from
tarballs often end up making things a PITA for packaging (bringing you
bundled libraries and similar horrors). Yet, out in the real world, most
users will get their software through distribution packages, not source
tarballs. Thus, optimizing for the case of straight tarball builds is
counterproductive.

        Kevin Kofler