R: Re: Calling autoconf in a spec.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 10:46:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 11:09:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
> > FWIW, I think we should actually run autoreconf -i -f in ALL specfiles as a
> > matter of policy, even if we aren't changing anything,
>
> To what end?  If you need to change configure.ac, that's one thing ...
> but if you don't, you're just uselessly exposing yourself to risks.

I suspect Kevin's concern is that someone stuffs some hidden shell
code into ./configure which isn't in configure.ac.  (Of the "send all
your private ssh keys to remote host" variety).

This concern has some legitimacy.  But OTOH someone could stuff the
same code into configure.ac or Makefile.am, and it's likely very few
people would notice.

Rich.