Calling autoconf in a spec.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 4 13:07:14 UTC 2011

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> I'd really love to be able to re-run current auto-tools on old
> Makefile.am/configure.{in,ac} files and the results to work in all
> cases, but right now that seems utopian to me.

Yet the competition ( http://www.cmake.org/ ) manages that very thing just
fine…

The whole Policies feature:
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#section_Policies
is explicitly designed to support perfect bug-for-bug compatibility with
CMakeLists.txt files written for older versions of CMake, while
fixing/improving things for newer CMakeLists.txt files (with a newer minimum
required version of CMake; the default for all the policies is to match the
behavior of the CMakeLists.txt's minimum required CMake version, this can be
overridden per policy).

That's how things work when upstream actually cares about backwards
compatibility.

        Kevin Kofler