systemd: Tagging /dev/virtio-ports/* for systemd

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 11:21:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 08:36:42PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 05.07.11 16:54, Daniel P. Berrange (berrange at redhat.com) wrote:
> > [Service]
> > ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/guestfsd
>
> Prefixing the binary path with "-" will result in the exit code of
> guestfsd be ignored, i.e. we wouldn't put the service into failed state
> if it crashes (or exits otherwise abnormally). I'd encourage never to
> prefix with "-" unless you have a really good reason to.

In this case, I think we do.  The daemon only handles one connection
at a time (that is the nature of virtio-serial ports) and it will exit
with EXIT_FAILURE if an error is read in the protocol.  This can
happen in some legitimate-ish cases, eg. if the host side disconnects
without "properly" closing the connection.

But what we'd want to avoid is the case where the daemon dies during
startup, and we get into a loop repeatedly relaunching the daemon.

The question is, does systemd implement respawn throttling like inetd?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top