biosdevname in fedora 15 - why is this inconsistency?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 16:15:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 10:02 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > That would indicate your BIOS doesn't have the necessary support;
> quite
> > a few don't. There's some notes on what's needed for biosdevname to
> work
> > at
> >
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-01-27_Network_Device_Nami
> ng_With_Biosdevname#Hardware_Requirements
>
> I ran the script, output:
>
> Checking hardware requirements                             [  OK  ]
> Checking for SMBIOS type 41 support                        [FAILED]
> Checking for SMBIOS type 9 support                         [  OK  ]
> Checking for PCI Interrupt Routing support                 [  OK  ]
>
> The instructions say:
>
> "If the output of the script is [ OK ] and any of the following checks
> is [ OK ], your hardware is supported by biosdevname".
>
> So, what's wrong?

I plead ignorance - you reached the limits of my knowledge on the
topic :) Matt Domsch might be able to help, when he comes by. Oh, if you
upgrade from earlier Fedora releases, I believe it preserves your
files to make it use the new ones, starting with the /etc/udev/rules.d
file that specifies interface names.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey