systemd: Is it wrong?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Jul 10 15:32:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 05:46:18AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> I disagree. It doesn't suck. It's the way UNIX and Linux have done this
> for dozens of years, and it's the way countless sysadmins know and love.
> "Sucks" might be true from the point of view of "hey look at this great
> thing I just designed", but it's very much not true from the point of
> view of the sysadmin working on the weekend who's just thinking "gee,
> what the heck is going on, why won't this just work how it has done for
> the past twenty years?". In other words "suck" depends on viewpoint.

The big kernel lock doesn't suck. It's the way SMP UNIX did things for
dozens of years, and it's the way countless kernel hackers know and
love. "Sucks" might be true from the point of view of "hey look at this
great fine-grained locking I just designed", but it's very much not true
from the poit of the driver author working on the weekend who's just
thinking "gee, what the heck is going on, why won't this just work how
it has done for the past twenty years?". In other words "suck" depends
on viewpoint.

Improvement means change, and change will inevitably upset some people
who would prefer to do things in exactly the same way that they always
have done. If we assert that all viewpoints are equally valid then every
single thing we've done in Fedora sucks. In this case there are sound
technical arguments against configuration by command line argument or
environment variable (just like there are against the BKL), and while we
should obviously attempt to make any transition as painless as possible
for administrators, that doesn't serve as a counter to those technical
arguments. They suck. Unarguably.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org