systemd: Is it wrong?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 19:59:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 23:32 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
>>
>> On 07/08/2011 10:57 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>> > Or in other words: configuration via command line arguments or
>> > environment variables sucks.
>
> I disagree. It doesn't suck. It's the way UNIX and Linux have done this
> for dozens of years, and it's the way countless sysadmins know and love.
> "Sucks" might be true from the point of view of "hey look at this great
> thing I just designed", but it's very much not true from the point of
> view of the sysadmin working on the weekend who's just thinking "gee,
> what the heck is going on, why won't this just work how it has done for
> the past twenty years?". In other words "suck" depends on viewpoint.

Well really "it is perfect because it has been like that for $num
years, how dare you change it" is a very weak argument. It has no
meaning at all from a technical pov. It is just "I am to lazy to learn
something new" ... but one should really expect sysadmins to be able
to keep up with changes like this.
There is a point where you have to break up with the past (and learn
from the mistakes made there) and move on.
It is called "progress".