systemd: Is it wrong?

J. Randall Owens jrowens.fedora at ghiapet.net
Mon Jul 11 00:19:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Genes MailLists wrote:

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:02:38
> From: Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora <devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: systemd: Is it wrong?
>
> On 07/10/2011 07:31 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Let's just aggree on disagreeing about this approach anyway the last
>> unit file I submitted does what Steve and you and perhaps many others
>> want's it to do afaik...
>
>  To be clear - I have as yet no views on systemd unit files et al here
> - just saying its healthy to keep things coherent. So my comment is
> limited to your specific suggestion of breaking things apart.
>
>  In fact I'd prefer a world where every app config file belonged
> directly with the app and not elsewhere - for one thing this supports
> having multiple versions of apps whereas if there is a single config
> (/etc/app.conf) this does not cleanly support multiple app versions.
>
>  Compare with:
>
>  /usr/lib/app-v1/
>                 etc/app.conf
>                 bin/app
>                 ... etc
>  /usr/lib/app-v2/app.conf
>                 etc/app.conf
>
>  and one can eve make a default versions via soft links much as the
> alternates scheme does:
>
>  /etc/app.conf -> /usr/lib/app-v1/etc/app.conf
>
> etc

Which brings up the problem that's been bothering me about the
all-in-config suggestion: Where do you put an argument that tells it where
to find the config file, especially in cases where you might have
different instances of the same program running from different config
files, in parallel?  Are you going to put it in the config file?

(I'm thinking specifically of the solution I came up with for dhcpd not
handling IPv4 and IPv6 in the same instance, where I ran it twice with
different -cf options, though I think that might have been fixed in dhcpd
since then, but I haven't tested that yet.  Yes, it was broken-ish, but
sysconfig files letting you work around things like that is certainly
helpful.)

--
J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/
ProofReading Markup Language | http://prml.sourceforge.net/