systemd: Is it wrong?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Jul 11 01:27:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 08:59:05PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 04:32 PM, Steve Clark wrote:
> > What are the benefits of systemd - other than it is the new fantastic, wonderful latest gizmo!
> Lennart, could you please answer this question? Because if you can't we should
> drop systemd from Fedora... IMHO..

You have *got* to be joking.

Systemd has been through a far more elaborate process of acceptance than
pretty much any other feature in Fedora history. Fesco spent an extended
period of time discussing it. We even took the unusual decision of
requesting that it be reverted from being the default in F14 in order to
reduce the chances of it causing problems for users.

Every time the appropriate governance bodies have asked Lennart for
further information on systemd, he's provided useful feedback. He's
helped anyone who's asked for advice on converting their init scripts.
He's explained the advantages of systemd on multiple occasions. And,
because of this, I don't think anyone who was empowered to make this
decision in the first place has any qualms about it now.

It's not reasonable to demand that people spend time reiterating things
that they've said before, and inist that their code be reverted if
they're unwilling to give in to unreasonable requests. That's not how
the project works. It's not how any project works.

The discussion you've been having regarding the disconnect between your
idea of how init scripts should work and Lennart's opinions about how
systemd services should work is interesting and worthwhile. I'd expect
that, given time, it'll result in a reasonable outcome. But can we try
to keep it at that useful level rather than insisting that things be
reverted?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org