systemd: Is it wrong?

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 01:34:54 UTC 2011

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Please follow the packaging guidelines [1][2][3] when packaging and
> shipping the unit files and remember to either drop or subpackage the
> legacy sysv init script ...

I would say that this should be formalized in Fedora guidelines.
I would suggest retaining the ability to handle packages and services in
current SysV and LSB system init environment.

I do not see yet that systemd is an improvement over current init system and
should be treated as beta software. There is a lot of noice, and confusion
creating unit files, which should not be as they are basic building blocks ...

What about the technical merits, the promised land of parallelization (which
bash lacks but systemd delivers ?), ease-of-use (bash delivers), ability to
quickly prototype/edit/setup machine with system services (bash delivers),
etc ?
You mean "progress" (always linear ?), "improvement" ?

There are serious points (issue after issue) raised in that thread:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-June/152323.html
that were not satisfactorily answered at all.

I am very suspicious about the quick, ambush-like tactics -  do you remember
the reception systemd and GNOME joint attempt to roll over the rest of
UNIX/Linux community received ?

Easy, my fellow Linuxers :-)
Do it for your own interest !

JB