systemd: Is it wrong? -> wrong order

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 16:02:08 UTC 2011

On 07/11/2011 10:03 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>>> If it's impossible to make NFS work sensibly with systemd then obviously
>>> we'd revert it. But I don't believe that that's the case, and nothing
>>> you've said in this thread has changed my mind there. It's clearly
>>> possible to get NFS working. The question is whether it's possible to do
>>> so in a way that matches your expectations of how users want NFS to
>>> behave, and that's not an issue that results in any destabalisation
>>
>> my main critic on systemd shipped als default with F15 is that
>> widely used services like NFS are not converted to systemd
>> BEFORE systemd replaced upstart
>
> It's a bit of a chicken of egg problem.
>
> I actually sent patches which cleaned up part of the NFS stuff to Steve
> (for example, socket activation patches for rpcbind), but he declined to
> apply them.
No. The community rejected them because
   * They were to evasive which made the code unmaintainable esp
        WRT to security fixes.
   * You rejected the idea of put the code in a standalone library.
   * They were too Fedora specific
   * Code stability was also a concern

Here is the thread:
  http://marc.info/?t=127950663200001&r=1&w=2