systemd: Is it wrong? -> wrong order

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 17:20:28 UTC 2011

> On Mon, 11.07.11 12:02, Steve Dickson (SteveD at redhat.com) wrote:

>>> It's a bit of a chicken of egg problem.
>>>
>>> I actually sent patches which cleaned up part of the NFS stuff to Steve
>>> (for example, socket activation patches for rpcbind), but he declined to
>>> apply them.
>> No. The community rejected them because
>
> Nope, you did. In a personal mail on Wed 11 Aug 2010.
>
> But really, this is a pointless game...
>
>>    * They were to evasive which made the code unmaintainable esp
>>         WRT to security fixes.
>
> Uh? It's an addition of 30 lines of very simple code. In fact if it had
> been merged it probably would have been the simplest code in all of the
> NFS stack.
>
>>    * They were too Fedora specific
>
> systemd is not a fedora-only project. It is available in a number of
> other distributions, in a number of them default, and will be the
> default in opensuse too, in the next release.
Good to know... I'll talk their NFS maintainer to see how
they are handling the systemd conversation... What other
distro are planing to use it?

>>    * Code stability was also a concern
>
> Really, for 30 lines of code? And where have these been expressed?
>
> I take it if I update the patch and repost it this would not change your
> minds and would be rejected again?

The main problem, in which you chose to ignore in this reply, is:

>>    * You rejected the idea of put the code in a standalone library.

If you put your code in a standalone library making it much more
manageable went it comes to configuration issues, go a head
and resubmit it...  You'll have a much better chance of acceptance...

steved.