systemd: Is it wrong?

Alexander Boström abo at root.snowtree.se
Tue Jul 12 08:30:40 UTC 2011

tis 2011-07-12 klockan 06:29 +0000 skrev JB:

> Regarding your statement on Parallelism.
> Let's consider these two ExecStartPre with 'exec':
> Is that still considered sequential execution, or parallel execution and
> a violation of the previous principle ?

Starting SysV scripts from ExecStartPre is (I'm pretty sure) not how the
systemd authors intended unit files to be written. You can't really talk
about principles when you go outside of the system's design.

> Actually, this question has a general ramification, as it applies to any of
> Pre, regular, and Post sequential execution principle within unit file.
>
> What is the meaning and purpose of "serial execution" within systemd ?
> - mechanical
>   submit for execution,
>   wait for return code,
>   iterate
> - or more involved
>   submit for execution,
>   wait for command (job) completion, presumably to avoid ... parallelism and
>   its potential side effects like any conflicts, races, etc; with return code,
>   iterate

Waiting for return code and waiting for command completion are pretty
much the same thing.

/abo