Fwd: rpm packaging: package configuration

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 13 09:14:02 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 10:57 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I create a new package.
> At install, we need to ask for some quesitons to the user to
> preconfigure the application.
rpm-based installations are supposed to be non-interactive, i.e. this is
not allowed.

> At upgrade, it would be nice to get already answered questions rather
> than ask again for configuration.
Installations are supposed to respect what the user had previously
configured.

> This can be managed manually, but it would be nicer to get this managed
> with packaging tools.
rpm-based systems' philosophy is to let users configure their systems
after package installations/updates, not during installation.

Ralf