Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Wed Jul 13 12:21:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:01:11PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 23:44 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I'm curious to know how many laptops have problems with
> > ACPI lid state in Linux. I've been told some laptops report
> > wrong lid state through ACPI, while my laptop seems to report it properly.
>
> Once you have this data, what do you intend to do with it?

Good question. I was just curious to know how widespread problem that is.

I tend to use my laptop in the docking station, only using external monitor,
so it's annoying when testing new alpha/beta/final Fedora releases
and Fedora uses the internal lvds, under the *closed* lid, as a primary display..
ie. the installer/livedesktop is not visible at all on my setup, until I open the lid.

So just trying to find some kind of workaround to that..
Using "clone-mode" as a default would solve the problem..
(now the default mode in Fedora is to use "extended desktop")

-- Pasi