Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 17:50:03 UTC 2011

> On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 11:35 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 16:57 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe it it is an idea to build a whitelist for machines which do
> > > have working ACPI lid support? I realize maintaining such a list is
> > > a pain, but this way people who care and are lucky enough to have actually
> > > working hardware can at least use this ?
> >
> > It's an idea, but not one I'd do.  Either a whitelist or a blacklist
> > would be oppressively large.
>
> I suppose a whitelist has the advantage that it can't hurt anything
> compared to the current state, and no matter how short it is, it
> benefits *some* people.

Oh, and depending on how it was implemented, it would provide a way for
competent users to manually add their own systems to the whitelist and
enable lid state functionality if they were happy with its performance
on their particular system; right now there's no way you can say 'no,
really, the lid switch works on my system, please use it'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey