Askbot status update and a call for help

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 03:01:41 UTC 2011

Hi

As discussed in this list earlier,  I along with several others (see
wiki page for details)  have been working on packaging Askbot
(http://askbot.org) and its
dependencies for Fedora (and EPEL).  Askbot is a question and answer
oriented forum along the lines of Stack Overflow and I would like to see
a instance of it hosted and run within the Fedora infrastructure.

You can find more detailed information about this at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Askbot

You can help by testing it and providing feedback. We have made good
progress by reviewing and approving several dependencies and building
them for both Fedora and EPEL 6. Askbot is written in Django and Python.
 To provide a good experience and integration with Fedora, we would like
to add several new features to it.

For instance,  PJP has already added support for logging in using the
Fedora account system id (upstream made authentication extensible to
support us)  and we are planning on adding support for logging using
identi.ca and quickly posting a question link to identi.ca (support for
Twitter already exists upstream).  There are several more features I
would like to see added.  The primary upstream developer is quite
receptive and has already added some features and fixed bugs we pointed
out. So if you are familiar with Django and Python, do let me know.
Many of these features are fairly easy to add.  I am available in
#fedora-devel and  #fedora-india as mether or you can also drop me a
mail offlist.

Upstream source is at

https://github.com/ASKBOT/askbot-devel/

Also Askbot can be installed via pip or easy_install and a test
repository for RHEL 6 (and rebuilds) is at

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pjp/askbot/

Rahul