Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 08:48:33 UTC 2011

What are the typical faults, and is it impossible to work around them,
maybe autodetecting if they are working or not? For a laptop without
an external display I would expect it to suspend when the lid is
closed, as that is what I usually configure.

However, it's not hard to imagine a feature of the desktop, such that
if the user has an external display and has disabled the main display
using xrandr or similar, then lid events are received, opening the lid
could cause a dialog to pop up on the other monitor

"It appears that your laptop lid has opened...
[] turn the laptop panel on when the lid opens
   [] always do this without asking
[] don't ask me again"

-Cam