BTRFS: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 09:02:12 UTC 2011

On 07/14/2011 09:50 AM, JB wrote:
> Ric Wheeler<rwheeler<at>  redhat.com>  writes:

>> Given that my family is from the hills of eastern
>> Kentucky, I also find the "hill billie" comment off putting.
> Ric, no offense ... injecting Kentucky hills was misguided ... I happened to
> visit the state few times and was impressed with how nice it looked ... and
> the girls ... and horses ... Wow !  :-)

>> We will not push for btrfs as a default unless it is safe.
> I have difficulty swallowing the fact that there are so many Red Hat, Oracle,
> and other famous technology names involved (officially or dev's private
> contributions) in development of BTRFS, and at the same time they practice
> such loosely approach to software development methodology.
>
> You can not manipulate an algorithm or disregard it in part without botching
> it as a whole, and at the same time be perceived as capable of handling BTRFS
> development ...
>
> I do understand that people contributing to BTRFS are of different ways of
> life ... but those that assume leading positions anywhere in its dev life
> cycle must be "up to snuff" (academically, technically, etc).
> Otherwise, you will produce a "Frankenstein" fs !
>
> The stakes are high because the features are advanced, attractive, and
> compelling.
>
> JB

That argument was discussed and handled. Edward (who works for me, as does
Josef) were part of that thread last year. I don't have a pointer to the
original thread at hand, but I think that Chris Mason weighed in again this year
on that same question.

I don't agree that the algorithm or design of btrfs is broken. Edward did point
out a bug, that was fixed and we moved on....

I think that it would be really rare to see pristine, academic algorithms
implemented exactly as a non-coding mathematician designed them in code :)

If you do have a specific concern still, patches are certainly always welcome or
just a pointer to specific concerns.

Regards,

Ric