Status of startup-notifications

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 14:38:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 07:30 +0200, Johannes Lips wrote:

> I recently found that startup-notification is quite old in fedora and
> filed a bug to update to the recent upstream version. [1]
> So far I didn't get any feedback and would like to ask if someone of
> those [2] who also have commit on this package could update it or
> explain what the reason for this "old" version is.

That's not entirely fair.  0.10 was released in April 2009, and built in
Fedora in July of that year.  The first functional change after that was
March 2010.  That change was written by Colin Walters as a Gnome 3
enhancement, and has been in the Fedora package ever since.

The major functional change since then has been switching to xcb
internally, which is a minor performance win but nothing to write home
about.  That landed in 0.11 (May 2011), but broke ABI in the process.
0.12 later that same month reverted the ABI to be compatible with 0.10.

That said:

% koji buildinfo startup-notification-0.12-1.fc16 | head -5
BUILD: startup-notification-0.12-1.fc16 [245068]
State: COMPLETE
Built by: walters
Task: 3089774 build
(dist-rawhide, /startup-notification:61acbcf09e5a5ce29dbf1364640e783508232b2a)
Finished: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:43:38 EDT

- ajax