BTRFS: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 15:29:40 UTC 2011

On 7/14/11 10:21 AM, JB wrote:
> Josef Bacik <josef <at> toxicpanda.com> writes:

>> I've already said
>> that if it's not in good shape by Alpha the switch won't even be made,
>> so quit your bitching.
>>
>> Josef
>
> Josef,
> would it be possible, BEFORE (in case that) you decide to switch on before
> Alpha, to present some test suite results (a la Phoronix, etc) that would
> assure yourselves and Fedora testers/users of BTRFS fitness ?

Or maybe something which is actually more relevant to filesystem behavior
than "mp3 encoding" and "parallel bzip2 compression?"  ;)

The xfstests test suite is a good general fs regression test, and it's
run all the time on btrfs, fwiw.

Of course Josef and other filesystem developers run such tests as a matter
of course.

There seems to be some idea that fs developers are a wild-eyed bunch of
hacks who are just itching to lose or corrupt your data.

It's not true; filesystem developers are, for the most part, highly
conservative with these things.  We know the pain we can cause if we
get it wrong.

> If it came from you it would have a special weight and a sign that you
> do no want to sell cats in a bag :-)
>
> I hope, that the community at large will parallel it with their own tests.

Indeed, that would be a lot more useful than random potshots and assertions
on mailing lists ;)

-Eric