How to read /proc/locks in safe mode?

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Fri Jul 15 15:57:42 UTC 2011

On 07/15/2011 05:26 AM, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 12/07/2011 alle 14.13 +0200, Dario Lesca ha scritto:
>> Hi, how to I can read in safe mode, from bash, the content
>> of /proc/locks?
>>
>> On my system I have more than 7000/9000 line into /proc/locks and if I
>> read it with awk (or cat or grep or cp) the file change during the read
>> and my input is undefined and is not processable (see attach).

I can't think of anything to lock all the other processes on your system
while your awk/cat is running, other than raising the priority of your
process high enough.

Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to accomplish by your
processing of /proc/locks, people have some suggestions. Clearly your
situation is unusual---why do you have thousands of active locks? I
think a dozen or so is the norm (I have a fairly busy desktop with many
sessions and programs open, and 20 locks are active right now).