Calling autoconf in a spec.

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 19:16:11 UTC 2011

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
> Well, I just don't have that impression. What I do find a bit hard to
> believe is that somebody else other than the package's developer group would
> be in a better position to decide the merits of adopting a policy of
> automatically rebuilding the code using whatever version of autotools is
> installed.

Yeah.  Some upstreams know what they're doing with autotools, some
don't; and some try harder than others to make their configure.ac code
bulletproof enough to be portable across different autoconf versions.
In the end, this has to be a case-by-case decision, not something to be
mandated by distro-wide policy.

			regards, tom lane