Sponsor needed (was: Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages in F-16 (v3))

J. Randall Owens jrowens.fedora at ghiapet.net
Sat Jul 16 02:54:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:39:13
> From: Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> To: devel at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: [ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages in F-16 (v3)
>
> Each release, before branching, we block currently orphaned packages.
> It's that time again for Fedora 16.
>
> New this go-round is that we are also blocking packages that have
> failed to build since before Fedora 14.
>
> The following packages are currently orphaned, or fail to build. If
> you have a need for one of these packages, please pick them up.
>
> If not claimed, the packages will be blocked on Monday, July 25.

> Orphan ds9
> 	comaintained by: mmahut
> Orphan wcstools
> 	comaintained by: mmahut
> Orphan xpa

Since astronomy is one of my main interests, to the point that I was even
trying to package the nightmare that is ds9 (lots of built & included
redundant libs) myself around 5 years ago, I'd be happy to take up that
and wcstools.  On the other hand, I'd need a sponsor, so if mmahut is
willing, obviously it would make more sense for him to step up.  I know
nothing of xpa, except that ds9 requires it (I may have known a little
about it 5 years ago, and then forgotten), but I'd be willing to take it
if no one else does, to help keep ds9 afloat; it looks like it has a
fairly simple spec file.  But obviously, I don't have any special
knowledge of it.

As to why anyone should sponsor me, I don't have a lot I can point to.
The main highlights would be my personal repository [1], which only goes
back to FC9 now (my older packages got eaten by a disk), a little help
focusing on ddclient & mipv6-daemon (not that those need much help), and a
patch quite a while back to RPM itself, fixing some perl depency
generation problems.  I already know the build process about up to the
point of doing scratch builds on koji, but might need a little bit of
hand-holding-by-example beyond that; not for long, surely.

[1] http://download.ghiapet.net/pub/ghiapet/linux/
--
J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/
ProofReading Markup Language | http://prml.sourceforge.net/