Agenda for today's FESCo meeting

Denys Vlasenko dvlasenk at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 15:15:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 14:06 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Following is the list of topics that will be discussed in the FESCo
> meeting today at 17:00UTC (1:00pm EDT) in #fedora-meeting on
> irc.freenode.net.
>
> Links to all tickets below can be found at:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/report/9
>
> = Followups =
>
> #topic #608 	F16Feature: Trusted Boot -
> .fesco 608

I tried to understand what it is about but the density of acronyms
is far beyond my ability to cope with them.

The links presented in #608 are:

http://www.intel.com/technology/malwarereduction/index.htm
- one-page description geared towards laymen. That is,
it is so dumbed down it doesn't actually explain anything.

http://download.intel.com/technology/security/downloads/315168.pdf
- the opposite. Typical fragment:

>TXT unaware VMMs and OS kernels assume control of application
>processors during boot using INIT-SIPI-SIPI mechanism. Upon receipt of
>a SIPI, the processor resumes execution at the specified SIPI vector.

My reaction: "Er... What?"

I don't say we don't need Trusted Boot. I'd say whoever wants to include
Trusted Boot into Fedora needs to spend some time to describe what is
it, how it is implemented - in terms understandable to average Linux
hacker! - and why it may be useful to have it in Fedora.

I think the same should be applicable to any other addition.

About TB per se: I personally would want to understand how it is
possible in principle to ensure that machine wasn't tampered with. I
personally tampered with some machines. The first thing I hacked is
always the code which checks integrity.

--
vda