on /etc/sysconfig

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Jul 18 20:01:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 21:45, Adam Miller
<maxamillion at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 09:16:13PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Hmm? Which ones in fedora can't? Are you suggesting we are shipping
>> software that cannot be modified? If so, please explain which one that
>> is, since we need to remove it from the distro then. Fedora only
>> includess Free Software, and software that cannot be modified would not
>> qualify as that.
>>
>> Lennart
> <SNIP>
>
> What about /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
> ... where would be a more appropriate location for those? Not saying
> there isn't one, just wondering what the logical progression would be
> since that's not really a daemon so much a munge of scripts and config
> files that handle network bits... similar question for others like that
> which have "service" entries in /etc/init.d/ but aren't actually daemons.

There are no clear plans.

If someone would come up with a unified network interface config
format all distros could use, it would go into some new top-level dir
in /etc and not in /etc/sysconfig. Until that happens we will surely
continue to use it, but look at it as 'inherited' and not something to
extend or base future work on.

What we have today is /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/, but
that probably doesn't solve that problem.

Kay