on /etc/sysconfig

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Jul 18 21:32:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:27, David Michael <fedora.dm0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Right, but that then causes 'last one wins' behavior among multiple DMs.
>>
>> I suppose we could use alternatives for this, as much as I dislike it.
>
> I meant creating that symlink was the replacement for
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop, the end-user configuration.

Yes, this link will replace the config file.

> As for what packages do about their DM service files, I would agree
> with letting alternatives manage a default
> /lib/systemd/system/display-manager.service symlink,

We should not let packages create config files in lib, lib is more for
static content from rpms, not really for configuration. For the same
reason, 'systemctl enable/disable' acts on /etc only.

> but leave the one
> in /etc for the users to specify.

The link in etc would need to be managed by alternatives, but I'm not
sure, if it's really necessary.

Kay