on /etc/sysconfig

David Michael fedora.dm0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 21:52:42 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org> wrote:
> We should not let packages create config files in lib, lib is more for
> static content from rpms, not really for configuration. For the same
> reason, 'systemctl enable/disable' acts on /etc only.

I had imagined using alternatives would allow the symlink
/lib/systemd/system/display-manager.service to be provided by
systemd-units (as it is now), just pointed at /etc/alternatives
instead of prefdm.service.

> The link in etc would need to be managed by alternatives, but I'm not
> sure, if it's really necessary.

In order to do that, wouldn't an RPM have to own the service link in
/etc?  I was under the impression that packages weren't supposed to
own anything under /etc/systemd/system.

Regardless, I think I'm off-topic from the rest of the thread, so I
will leave these details alone for the time being.

David