boost 1.47.0

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:02:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Petr Machata <pmachata at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> in accordance with the announced Fedora feature[1][2], we (the Boost
> maintainers) plan to rebase Boost to 1.47.0 really soon now.  Boost
> 1.47.0 has been released recently and Denis Arnaud kindly did the
> packaging, so it is ready for scratch builds, smoke testing, and related
> fun.
>
> I'll do that in the next few days and if all comes out green-ish, I'll
> push the package into Fedora 16 and write a follow-up to this e-mail
> with guidelines on overcoming the obstacles, if any.
>
> Further plans: originally, we hoped that 1.48.0 would be about out by
> now, and we would manage to get beta into Fedora 16, much like we did
> with 1.46.0 for Fedora 15.  But the Boost schedule slipped, and made any
> such plans impossible to realize[2].  At the same time, the sentiment of
> Boost upstream seems to be to (gradually) get back to the original
> schedule, so we may end up with 1.50.0 in Fedora 17.  Handling +3 bump
> might end up being more interesting than is desirable, so to alleviate
> this, we will most probably want to do at least one larger rebase
> mid-Rawhide, either to 1.48.0, or 1.49.0.  I'll write more when I know
> more.
>
> Don't hesitate to ping me on irc (_petr) with any concerns that you
> have.

The only concern I have is with jumping to a release later than 1.47 in F-16
post alpha which is in fact the time when features should be complete. So in
fact it should have already landed. Post alpha the release will branch from
rawhide at which point please feel free to push > 1.48 to F-17 rawhide with
appropriate heads up to people.

Peter