systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Tue Jul 19 12:58:05 UTC 2011

JB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My suggestion is that you keep both init systems, SysV/LSB and systemd,
> as separate offerings out of many, and forever so.

+1, but it seems impossible now.

If you prefer to continue with SysV, it is your right to create a fork,
or just an additional repository (starting from F14 code base) with
traditional SysV init system and hundreds of (now removed) traditional
init scripts for hundreds of daemons.

BTW, such a task looks quite realistic (even for two, three persons).
Just trace the main Fedora packages and make needed changes for your
SysV init system and your collection of SysV initrd scripts. I'm sure
you will find adherens in this idea.

The continuation of this discussion here is not productive, anyway.

Dmitry Butskoy
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy