systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:34:11 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 11:11 AM, JB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My suggestion is that you keep both init systems, SysV/LSB and systemd,
> as separate offerings out of many, and forever so.
>
> You would install them as suitable for your individual system needs.
> The SysV/LSB system init would be default as is now.

First of all systemd is the default init systemd and has been from F15

Secondly I'm pretty sure the legacy sysv init system maintainer is happy
to give you the ownership of the component then you can maintain it for
as long as you want...

You probably want to add your self as as co-maintainer to several
components and start reverting code bases and packaging several
components separately you know for the once that have gone the full
systemd route and for the once that have decided to drop the legacy sysv
init support and the legacy sysv init script with it...

You probably need a separate crew to do QA on the legacy sysv init
systemd since I'm pretty sure that QA wants to only be overseeing and
dedicating resource to support one init system and doing that well and
that init systemd being the default one what ever that might be at any
given time.

For the rest of the items you listed in your post it's better that you
list facts/test cases and what not basically everything else but a list
of buzzwords and encase you are going to respond with the "sysadmin
argument" then let me respond to that forehand in reality any competent
sysadmin will adapt to the new init system as he does for various other
code changes in the application stack that runs on the hardware he's
administrating if he doesn't then I suggest you fire him and hire
another one that can.

Now if you just happen to be a sysadmin then I suggest you either get
with the program or expect to be out of job tomorrow since there is
plethora of competent sysadmins out there that are able and willing and
after your job...

If for what ever reason it just happens to be that you find any joy in
maintaining init system(s) then might I suggest the Debian project since
they might end up carrying three.

Thanks

JBG

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join