systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:45:40 UTC 2011

Just because shell scripts are familiar doesn't make then easier.
Shell scripts can be quite quite fragile.  Collectively as admins
we've grown very attuned to dealing with shell semantics good and bad.
 None of us who are deeply familiar with shell can You easily assess
the relative merits of systemd because we aren't familiar with systemd
yet.

I've heard the same arguments from other people in other contexts for
years, especially in scientific computing. Why on earth should anyone
ever need to learn anything except IDL scripting for scentific data
analysis. It was good enough 20 years ago..its good enough now. We
have all this complex fragile IDL scripting codebase built up. Why on
earth would be through it a way for html5 based data plotting?

I'm utterly unmoved by any arguments which boil down to "I'm familiar
with this 20+ year old tech, and I don't want to learn something new"

Familiar is not automatically easier or better, harder or worse. It is
simply familiar and the longer we hold on to the familiar the harder
it will every be for us to take the time to invest in better
technologies so we can realize the full potential of those
technologies

-jef