Heads up: cpuspeed removed from f16+

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 17:01:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 15:41 +0200, Petr Sabata wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 03:35:36PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >
> > Le Mar 19 juillet 2011 14:14, Petr Sabata a écrit :
> >
> > > In case you would to use a different governor and/or specific frequency, try
> > > the
> > > new cpupower.service (provieded by cpupowerutils).  Most people shouldn't need
> > > this, though.
> >
> > Will cpupowerutils obsolete cpufreq so old deployments of cpufreq can be
> > garbage-collected ? (yes most people will not need it, but is it not better to
> > have something current installed rather than cpufreq living on forever? I'm
> > thinking of eternal yum-updated systems here)
>
> It's not the case at the moment.
>
> I was thinking about it before and didn't really like it.  But it's
> just a matter of taste and having yet another Obsoletes/Provides pair in
> cpupowerutils.spec won't hurt.

If you're orphaning the package I'd say it isn't really a 'matter of
taste'. Leaving unmaintained packages lying around on people's systems
is poor form, and usually a few releases later some dependency issue
arises with the orphaned package that would have been avoided if it had
been obsoleted.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey