systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 17:54:01 UTC 2011

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  None of us who are deeply familiar with shell can You easily assess
> the relative merits of systemd because we aren't familiar with systemd
> yet.
Yes we are already - the discusions here were not useless, neither for me,
you, or anybody else who wanted to understand.

> I'm utterly unmoved by any arguments which boil down to "I'm familiar
> with this 20+ year old tech, and I don't want to learn something new"

Not true. We want to bring it to a higher level that would represent true
"progress" and "innovation". A killer init system by any standard yet.
And the project guys can do it.

> Familiar is not automatically easier or better, harder or worse. It is
> simply familiar and the longer we hold on to the familiar the harder
> it will every be for us to take the time to invest in better
> technologies so we can realize the full potential of those
> technologies.

That's what I have just said above too.
So you are already "FOR", but you did not know about it up to now :-)
Welcome to the club !

> -jef

JB