systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jul 19 18:09:11 UTC 2011

Le mardi 19 juillet 2011 à 09:48 -0800, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :

> how is shell more transparent?  from my meager understanding of
> systemd we are actually getting better more systematic failure and
> logging information from systemd unit files than we get from the
> complexity of shell scripts. Are we not?

Right now, not at all. Systemd scrapped all kinds of "legacy" logging
and will state on unit failure 'I failed, why I failed must be in some
logs somewhere, go hunt for them'

Not to mention that a sysV script failure can be debuged by feeding the
script to bash -x -v, good luck doing the same in systemd

systemd has a huge potential, but so far a lot of it is just that,
potential, and potential won't make people wait long when they have
clear and present problems caused by the missing bits. I don't think
it's wise to remove more "legacy" stuff before replacing all that's
already been removed. That may be the best path technically but from a
communication POW it's a disaster.

--
Nicolas Mailhot