systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jul 19 19:06:03 UTC 2011

Le mardi 19 juillet 2011 à 18:30 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" a
écrit :

> Hum best is to provide you with example which daemon do you maintain I
> can convert it for you and provide it to you as an example anyway here's
> an example of a systemd unit that I converted sometime ago for a know
> application named tomcat6 and I'll leave readers to be the judge of that
> what is harder to understand the native systemd unit or the legacy sysv
> init script...
>
> First the converted unit file

> Now the legacy sysv init script that everybody seem to love and cheerish
> so much...

I don't think anyone loves this particular sysv script but you realize I
hope that 99% of its complexity is here to make multi-instanciation
trivial (because when every user can run an IDE like eclipse that wants
its own tomcat instance to play with you *do* need multi-instanciation)
and your unit file does not support this use case at all?

--
Nicolas Mailhot