systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:33:36 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 07:06 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 19 juillet 2011 à 18:30 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" a
> écrit :
>
>> Hum best is to provide you with example which daemon do you maintain I
>> can convert it for you and provide it to you as an example anyway here's
>> an example of a systemd unit that I converted sometime ago for a know
>> application named tomcat6 and I'll leave readers to be the judge of that
>> what is harder to understand the native systemd unit or the legacy sysv
>> init script...
>>
>> First the converted unit file
>> Now the legacy sysv init script that everybody seem to love and cheerish
>> so much...
> I don't think anyone loves this particular sysv script but you realize I
> hope that 99% of its complexity is here to make multi-instanciation
> trivial (because when every user can run an IDE like eclipse that wants
> its own tomcat instance to play with you *do* need multi-instanciation)
> and your unit file does not support this use case at all?

My unit file is just stripped version of what's happening in the basis
once I hear from the maintainers what the desired behaviour I can work
with them to complete the progress.

The bug that contains that very unit file along with a patch that makes
tomcat6 work out of the box has not been touch by the maintainers since
the day I filed it which was 2011-07-06

Not that it actually matters there a plenty of already converted and
shipped units out there that can show the difference of native systemd
units and script messes

JBG