systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:37:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Stijn Hoop <stijn at sandcat.nl> wrote:
> In other words, why should the package tomcat6 not provide a
> better /usr/bin/tomcat6 "binary" (or shell script, or whatever) that
> can work out on its own whether to multi-instantiate?

In this case the executable in question is in fact a bash script that
appears to be a distro-specific enhancement...but an upstream
deliverable.

So it definitely appears as if the distro maintainer for this package
have the leeway to move the functions into the "wrapper" executable
script instead of letting them linger in the init "config"

Why these were put in the initscript instead of the executable wrapper
would seem to be an arbitrary decision allowed only because we've
historically had a very fuzzy boundary between config and execution
logic at the distribution level.

-jef