Starting user UIDs at 1000 - please check your packages

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 17:52:09 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 01:19 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 12:29 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:

>>> Either chown the files, or create a kickstart file that puts
>>> /etc/login.defs in place in a %pre script.  chown is probably much
>>> simpler unless you have many systems to manage.
>>>      Mirek
>> Makes sense...
>>
>> We should also note that this might be a common need for users who have SAN
>> attached storage (and that could be large, multi-user systems).
> If they don't already have a directory or at the very least a way to
> rsync /etc/passwd around they do not have a production grade
> installation.
>
> If they already have shared user information this change shouldn't make
> much of a difference to them unless they want to change existing user
> Ids.
>
> Simo.

With SAN attached storage (or just the clean install example I gave earlier in
the thread), the install will have existing user ID's but their /etc/password
(and so on) will get nuked during the install which could/will re-use existing
user ID's.

rsync won't help since their data is all local already. You will need to "chown"
the user files to the higher range PID's.

Ric