F15: ugly behavior of "df"

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Thu Jul 21 12:09:08 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 07:09 AM, Steve Clark wrote:

> Well what benefit(s) does the new 'df' provide, is it worth all the pain
> it brings?

  I concur - the current df behavior is well .. goofy :-) - however this
may be tricky to fix in the new world - but should be fixed.

  If this behavior is somehow desirable it would be preferable to  make
it an option (like df --full or whatever) and make the default something
more sensible.

  That said, it may be tricky in the new world;

   where can you retrieve the info about a mount being a bind mount ?
How can you push the chrooted bind mounts into being less obtrusive (or
even optional, --show-chrooted-mounts)

  /proc/mounts does not seem to distinguish bind mounts - so this may
have to be a kernel change and perhaps adding /proc/mounts/bind and
moving bind mounts 1 level down - this is not an area I know a lot about
however, so I'll leave this to the real experts.