F15: ugly behavior of "df"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 21 21:15:09 UTC 2011

Am 21.07.2011 23:04, schrieb Karel Zak:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 08:09:08AM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>   /proc/mounts does not seem to distinguish bind mounts - so this may
>> have to be a kernel change and perhaps adding /proc/mounts/bind and
>> moving bind mounts 1 level down - this is not an area I know a lot about
>> however, so I'll leave this to the real experts.
>
>  I've already talked about it in this list... "bind" is operation, not
>  state of any mountpoint. Something like /proc/mounts/bind does not
>  make sense from kernel's point of view

sorry but if i get borked as suer with endless lists in "df"
and useless warnings while callign "df" the kernels point
of view does not matter for me!

you want a example of the real world - here it is:

* openssh / sftp
* chroot

Match User anyuser
  ChrootDirectory               /some/mepty/folder

* to use sftp as ftp-replacement you need bind-mounts
* create 20 empty folders
* every of this gets a bind-mount to the users webspaces

having 100 user with 5 subfolders in F15 means you
see a list with 500 entries calling "df" in F15

is this funny?
no it is not!