F15: ugly behavior of "df"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jul 22 07:57:42 UTC 2011

Am 22.07.2011 09:31, schrieb Tomas Mraz:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 23:15 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>>  I've already talked about it in this list... "bind" is operation, not
>>>  state of any mountpoint. Something like /proc/mounts/bind does not
>>>  make sense from kernel's point of view
>>
>> sorry but if i get borked as suer with endless lists in "df"
>> and useless warnings while callign "df" the kernels point
>> of view does not matter for me!
>>
>> you want a example of the real world - here it is:
>>
>> * openssh / sftp
>> * chroot
>>
>> Match User anyuser
>>   ChrootDirectory               /some/mepty/folder
>>
>> * to use sftp as ftp-replacement you need bind-mounts
>> * create 20 empty folders
>> * every of this gets a bind-mount to the users webspaces
>>
>> having 100 user with 5 subfolders in F15 means you
>> see a list with 500 entries calling "df" in F15
>>
>> is this funny?
>> no it is not!
>
> But it still does just mean that df must be fixed, not
> that /proc/mounts/bind would make any sense or even if patched somehow
> would be acceptable into the kernel

who does it and will this happen this year or have we to
wait until Fedora 16 as for clean systemd-servcies where
QA forces even maintainers which having ready and from
users confirmed to remove them becuase the are not allow

should/must are nice words if nobody will do it
i can't becuase i am no c/c++ programmer and even if
i do not know until know WHERE the kernel spits out
the informationif anything is a bind-mount