[RPM Spec] Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jul 23 10:57:57 UTC 2011

On 07/22/2011 10:33 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> The rpm changelog can reasonably be in any timezone.

It is better to always write the changelog timestamp in UTC to avoid
"%changelog not in descending chronological order" build errors if the
specfile is modified at unfortunate moments in different timezones.
rpmbuild handles it in UTC as well.

If using *Emacs rpm-spec-mode, the rpm-change-log-uses-utc variable can
be set to non-nil to accomplish this (it's that way by default in emacs
>= 23.3-3).  I've just pushed a change to rpmdevtools git that makes
bumpspec use UTC too.