Grubby and Xen

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Mon Jul 25 02:38:17 UTC 2011

I have been working with a few other Fedora contributors on the Fedora 16
feature "XenPvopsDom0", http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0.
This feature would provide a robust virtualization alternative based on
Xen. Xen is a type-1, hypervisor-based platform and therefore has some
different properties than KVM, et al.

One of the integration points we'd like to improve has to do with
grubby. As it is hypervisor-based, Xen requires grub to be configured
a little differently than bare-metal Linux.

In summary, where bare-metal Linux needs:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-...
initrd /boot/initramgs-...

Xen requires:

kernel /boot/xen.gz
module /boot/vmlinuz-...
module /boot/initramfs-...

There are two bugs in Bugzilla related to this:

658387, Patch to allow mbkernel and mbargs to be read from /etc/sysconfig/kernel
668063, Grubby does not handle "template" that uses module keyword properly

Is anyone who is a grubby contributor interested in adding these features
to grubby to support the XenPvopsDom0 feature? I've provided a patch in
bug #658387.

Thanks,

--
Mike