Java 7 for Fedora 16

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:18:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:30:23AM -0400, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> * Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> [2011-07-23 20:03]:
> > The alpha change deadline is a week and three days away so this is very
> > likely too late.  If you want to try to get an exception to get this in, you
> > need to get the Java SIG excited to do it, get the Feature page finished
> > (with estimates of how much time it will take to finish and who will do the
> > work) and put it before FESCo/Feature Wrangler to see if they'll grant an
> > exception.
> >
> > Judging by the state things are in now, I don't know that it looks too
> > hopeful unless you get some Java SIG people to commit to working on it.
> >

> This is doable by the Alpha deadline. The main holdup for us has been a
> lack of OpenJDK TCK for v7. The actual RPM can be written fairly
> quickly. We were hopeful that we'd be able to push a more tested initial
> version. But given the deadlines, it appears we will have to push
> whatever we have right now and modify/fix it as needed when we have the
> TCK.

Note:  The *Feature deadline* is already passed.  That's why I use the word
"exception" in what I wrote.

Robyn and I have talked about how the feature process could be adapted to
allow for more late work to occur however none of that talk has turned into
anything solid yet.  One point that bears on this is that the Feature Owners
must be willing to commit to doing all the work involved in coordination
when they submit something late.  In other words, if Java 7 update went in
well before the feature deadline, the expectation would be that packagers
whose packages depended on Java would need to adapt to Java 7.  The
expectation now that the Feature Freeze has passed is that the people
pushing Java 7 into the repos would also need to seek out and fix all the
packages that depend on them that are broken.

Hope that helps in creating a Feature plan that FESCo can grant an exception
to in good conscience,

-Toshio